BÜLENT ECEVİT UNIVERSITY
DIRECTIVE FOR APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION ADMISSION OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
(Aim, Scope, Basis and Terms)
Article 1- The aim of this directive is to regulate the procedures and principles regarding international student applications, admissions and registrations to daytime and evening undergraduate programs and to distance learning ones at Bülent Ecevit University.
Article 2- This directive comprises provisions concerning international student applications, admissions and registrations to daytime programs at Bülent Ecevit University.
Article 3- This directive has been based on Higher Education Law numbered 2547 article 45/f and Higher Education Council’s “Principles Governing International Student Admissions”.
Article 4- The following terms will refer to;
a) Academic Units: Faculty, School, Conservatoire, Vocational School,
b) BEÜYÖS: The examination for foreign students to be accepted into higher education programs of Bülent Ecevit University,
c) Program: The programs of academic units and departments at Bülent Ecevit University,
d) Senate: University Senate,
e) University: Bülent Ecevit University,
f) Administrative Board: Administrative Board of the university
Article 5- Candidates complying with the requirements pointed out in ‘‘Principles Governing International Student Admissions’’, which are adopted by Higher Education Council, can apply for admission to the university.
Article 6- For each academic year, student quotas which will be accepted from abroad to the Bülent Ecevit University and any specific requirements are determined by university senate taking the opinion of the corresponding academic units (excluding the METEB linked programs) in a way the programs’ quotas, which were in the previous year among the ÖSYS Higher Education Programs and quotas, will not exceed 35% at the university.
Article 7- The quota and the requirements determined by the senate agreement are reported to Higher Education Council.
Article 8- The quotas of the programs determined by Higher Education Council, the information about both the language of the instruction and the preparation classes are posted on the website of the Higher Education Council.
Article 9- In case of no application to any program quota or the quota’s non-fulfillment, on the condition of not exceeding the quota setting limits, these non-fulfilled and not applied quotas can be transferred to the other program quotas, except for the Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy programs, by the Administrative Board of the University. The transmission to the Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy programs can only be done with the decision of Executive Board of Higher Education.
Article 10- From the students who will be accepted from abroad, each year, considering the minimum and maximum amounts of tuition fees determined by the council of ministry, a tuition fee amount, which is determined by the Administrative Board of the University, is received.
Article 11- From the students who are accepted from abroad and have a right to enroll in the university, a written declaration, which is about their being able to meet their financial expenses during their educational process in our country, is received.
Article 12- The students who will be accepted from abroad in order to be accepted for Bülent Ecevit University programs, according to the programs they applied, the exams in the status of high school graduation, the exams in the status of university entrance and the requirements about secondary school grade point averages and receivable minimum scores are given in Appendix-1. If deemed necessary, this list is refreshed by the senate.
Article 13- While the exams in the status of high school graduation are indefinitely valid, the validity of the exams in the status of university entrance (SAT, YÖS, BEÜYÖS, etc.) is 2 (two) years.
Article 14- According to the provisions defined in No: 5510 Social Insurances and General Health Insurance Law, the medical expenses of the students who are accepted from abroad are met by themselves and within the scope of health insurance which will be built by the students.
(Application, BEÜYÖS, Documents Required for Application, Acceptance and Evaluation)
Article 15- (1) On condition that the applicants are at the last grade of high school or graduates, those whose applications can be accepted are:
a) Candidates with foreign citizenship,
b) Those who are Turkish citizens from birth but who have got permission from the Ministry of Domestic Affairs for renunciation and their children who are under the age of 18 and not registered to renunciation document and able to declare obtaining a document which shows they have the rights provided by the law of Turkish Citizenship (According to Item 7 of the Law of Turkish Citizenship numbered 5901 states “(1) Children of mothers or fathers with Turkish citizenship who are born in marriages in Turkey or abroad are Turkish citizens.” Candidates to apply from acceptance from abroad quotas should review the Law of Turkish Citizenship.)
c) Those who originally held foreign citizenship and gained Turkish citizenship later and individuals with dual nationality under this condition
ç) Those who are Turkish citizens and who have completed all their secondary education in a country other than Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (including those who have completed their secondary education in Turkish schools in a foreign country other than Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus)
d) Those who are citizens of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, residing in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus and completed their secondary education in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus and who possess GCE AL examination results and those who have obtained or will obtain GCE AL scores by having registered to colleges or high schools in other countries and having been educated in these schools between years of 2005 and 2010.
(2) Candidates whose applications cannot be accepted are:
a) Candidates with Turkish citizenship who have completed all their secondary education in Turkey or Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
b) Candidates with citizenship of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (Except those who have completed their secondary education in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus and who possess GCE AL examination results and those who have obtained or will obtain GCE AL scores by having registered to colleges or high schools in other countries and having been educated in these schools between years of 2005 and 2010.)
c) Candidates with dual identity who were initially Turkish citizens by birth, which is defined in item a, sub-item 2 (Except those who have completed all their secondary education in a foreign country other than Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus / except those who have completed all their secondary education in Turkish schools in a foreign country other than Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus)
ç) Candidates with dual citizenship with one of them being of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (Except those who possess GCE AL examination results having completed all their secondary education in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus and those who have obtained or will obtain GCE AL scores by having registered to colleges or high schools in other countries and having been educated in these schools between years of 2005 and 2010.)
d) Candidates with dual nationality whose first nationality was Turkish by birth, as described in item a sub-item 2, or those studying at schools possessed by embassies in Turkey and foreign high schools in Turkey
Article 16- (1) Explanations related with applications are announced on the web page of the University.
(2) Applications are made within the dates announced, with the following documents by mail, online or in person to the Student Affairs Office of Bülent Ecevit University.
(3) Applications which arrive after the deadline are not accepted.
(4) Candidates can apply to three diploma programs at most. Applications to these programs are conducted online via the University web page (www.beun.edu.tr)
(5) Meeting the application requirements does not necessarily mean being accepted for placement.
(6) The applications of the candidates who apply within the announced dates with a missing document are not accepted
(7) In applications via internet, the information provided is accepted as correct, however, the registration of the candidate is canceled if it is found out during evaluation or registration that false information was provided
Application for BEÜYÖS Exam and Related Issues
ARTICLE 17- (1) BEÜYÖS (Bülent Ecevit University Examination for Selection and Placement of Foreign Students) can be conducted for the foreign students once a year by Bülent Ecevit University.
(2) BEÜYÖS is conducted by the directorate of Distance Education Center.
(3) Exam application dates, the content, date and the format of the exam are announced in the guide admitted by the Administrative Board.
(4)Explanations related to BEÜYÖS aplications are announce on the University’s website (www.beun.edu.tr)
(5) The preparation, implementation, evaluation and
Documents Required for Application
ARTICLE 18- Photocopies or scanned jpeg (via internet-online) versions of the following documents are demanded from applicants
a) Application form to be obtained from the web page (www.beun.edu.tr)
b) Photocopy of the candidate’s high school diploma or temporary graduation document
c) Photocopy of the candidate’s high school exam results (transcript) indicating the subjects studied, their marks and general average scoring
d) Photocopy of the candidate’s exam result document indicating valid score taken from the exams according to the program applied provided in Appendix-1,
e) Photocopy of the candidate’s passport and the page indicating passport’s validity,
f) Photo taken in the last six months in passport standards,
g) Personal written statement of the candidate indicating that he/she is financially secure to carry out all his/her education life.
Acceptance and Evaluation
ARTICLE 19- (1) The evaluation of the applications and placement of the candidates is totally under the responsibility of Bulent Ecevit University. Bulent Ecevit University is free to admit as many candidates as announced in quota or not. Meeting the requirements of application does not necessarily mean automatic admission to the department / program.
(2) The evaluation and placement process of the foreign candidates is conducted by a council composed of members of the education council of the academic unit applied for.
(3) The placement for quotas is determined according to BEÜYÖS score, order of choice and the number of candidates with the same citizenship accepted to the same program.
(4) The number of candidates who gain the right to get registered to a Faculty / School / Conservatory / Vocational school with the same citizenship cannot exceed 30% of the total quota of the programs in the related Faculty / School / Conservatory / Vocational school. In the event that the quotas are not full, this requirement may not be met, the process can be conducted by the University regardless of the issues related with the number of countries
(5) The equivalence of the exams required for application are determined as follows:
a) The exam scores and secondary education mark averages of the candidates are converted to a 100 point scale where the highest grade is 100. For the applications, the candidates must have at least 60 points for faculties of five years or more, 55 for BA programs, 50 for associate degrees.
b) For students to be admitted to our University from abroad, BEÜYÖS scores have priority in the process of placement.
c) Upon receiving the candidates’ preferred programs and placing them according to their BEÜYÖS scores, another placement is conducted for the empty quotas, taking other national and international exam results. For quotas remaining empty after this process, another placement is conducted taking mark averages in secondary education into consideration.
(6) In the event that there is equality in placement scores, first the order of choice is taken into consideration. If there is still equality, secondary education mark average, and if there is still equality, Turkish language proficiency level is taken into consideration. If there is still equality, the younger candidate is placed.
(7) For departments admitting students with special talent examination, as an addition to the conditions stated above, the candidates must pass the special talent examination conducted by our University and in the evaluation of the applications is conducted according to the application, registration and acceptance regulations of the related Faculty, School, Conservatory or Vocational School
(8) Candidates applying to departments where foreign language education is in the curriculum must pass the Foreign Language Proficiency Exam held by Foreign Languages Compulsory Preparatory Program of our University as an addition to the general conditions stated above. Candidates with sufficient scores from the equivalents of this exam accepted by Foreign Languages Compulsory Preparatory Program (YDS) or international exams whose equivalency have been approved by the Interuniversitary Council (from TOEFL-IBT,TOEFL-CBT,TOEFL-PBT, IELTS, CAE, FCE, CPE) are considered to have succeeded in the Foreign Language Proficiency Exam.
ARTICLE 20- Students who are registered to departments where there is compulsory foreign language preparatory class are obliged to adhere to Regulations for Language Education in Higher Education and Rules for Foreign Language Education in Higher Education and Bulent Ecevit University Regulations of Preparatory Education.
ARTICLE 21- For candidates granted the right to register to start their education:
(1) For candidates who got the right to be registered to be able to start their education, they must obtain proof of their Turkish language proficiency by passing the Turkish language proficiency exam held by Karaelmas TOMER which is a foundation of our university or obtain valid exam scores from other foundations whose equivalency has been approved by Karaelmas TOMER. Candidates whose levels of Turkish language proficiency are not sufficient have to reach a sufficient level of Turkish language proficiency during the one year they will be given permission. The candidates who have been given permission have to present proof of their Turkish language proficiency within the year following the one they gained the right to be registered with proof of success from Language Centers or centers providing Turkish language education which are approved by YOK (Council of Higher Education). Otherwise, they lose their right to be registered.
(2) Students who have got the mark indicating C1 level according to Common European Framework of Reference for Language Framework (CEFR) from the exam held by TOMER (Research and Application Center for Turkish Education) or marks A or B from exams conducted by other foundations whose equivalency have been approved by TOMER are considered successful.
(3) Evaluation of level of Turkish Language Proficiency:
a) Level (A): Level of Turkish language proficiency is sufficient. Can be registered to the program where he obtained the right.
b) Level (B): Level of Turkish language proficiency is not sufficient, however can be improved. Can be registered to the program where he obtained the right on condition that he takes Turkish course. The student must present proof of his Turkish language proficiency at Level (A) at the beginning of the third academic year the latest. Students whose level of Turkish language proficiency is still at Level (B) at the end of this duration can not continue their education until their levels of Turkish language proficiency is at level A.
c) Level (C): Level of Turkish language proficiency is insufficient. They must take Turkish courses. Students in this situation must present proof of their Turkish language proficiency at Level (A) by the beginning of their third academic year the latest. For those who reach Level (A) in their Turkish language proficiency, first sub-item of this item is applied while for those who reach Level (B) the second sub-item is valid.
(4) The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) equivalents of Karaelmas TOMER Turkish Language Proficiency are provided below.
|TURKISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY LEVEL||CEFR TURKISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY LEVEL||EXPLANATIONS|
|A||C1||Turkish is proficient|
|B||B2||Turkish can be proficient in a short time|
|B||B1||Turkish can be proficient in a short time|
|C||A2||Turkish level is not sufficient|
|C||A1||No Turkish at all|
Announcement of the Results and Visa Processes
ARTICLE 22- (1) Results for application are announced on the web site of the University http://www.beun.edu.tr
(2) Since students who gain the right for registration to be educated in our University have to obtain “Visa for Education Purposes” students who gain the right to be registered are sent “letters of acceptance” or an equivalent document to the addresses they submitted during application. Besides, candidates who have been admitted to our university can obtain their letters of acceptance prepared for them from the web site of the University (www.beun.edu.tr). The candidates have to apply the Turkish embassy in their country (or the nearest one) with this letter to obtain student visa.
(3) The documents required for registration are announced on the web page of the University along with the results.
Documents required for registration:
ARTICLE 23- (1) Documents required for registration:
a) The official high school diploma or document of graduation and its translated version in Turkish approved by notary or Turkish External Representatives,
b) The official high school diploma, the official document of equivalency obtained from Director of National Education as branches of Turkish Ministry of Education or Turkish External Representatives
c) Official transcript indicating the courses the candidate took during high school as well as marks and general mark average approved by the head of the high school and its translated version in Turkish approved by notary or Turkish external representatives,
ç) Approved copy of the document indicating that the candidate has obtained at least the minimum score from the list of exams provided in Appendix-1 according to the kind of program he has applied by Turkish External Representatives or notary.
d) A print of the BEÜYÖS result document.
e) The translated copy of the pages of the passport with student visa indicating identity information and validity approved by notary or Turkish External Representatives,
f) Copy of international document of foreign language proficiency and Turkish language proficiency approved by notary or Turkish External Representatives if present,
g) Residence certificate (Must be handed to the departmental student office within 6 months after registration),
ğ) Eight photographs with dimensions of 4,5×6,0 cm (taken within the last six months, from the front, can identify the candidate easily),
h) Receipt from the bank indicating that the tuition fee has been paid,
ı) Signed declaration of assurance of sustenance
(2) The processes of candidates who submit fake, forged, incomplete or false documents during application, placement and registration are cancelled even if their registration have been completed and they are expelled from the University.
Medium of Instruction
ARTICLE 24- (1) The medium of instruction is Turkish at the university. Tghe foreign language proficiency of the students who obtained the right to register to the programs with compulsory preparatory education or to the ones with a foreign language medium of instruction are evaluated by the foreign language proficiency exam and placement test according to the language of their programs.
(2) Compulsory foreign language proficiency exam and Foreign Language Preparation Education is conducted according to the principles of “Bülent Ecevit University Regulation for Foreign Language Preparation Education and Examination”.
Cases not stipulated here in
ARTICLE 25- (1) For the cases not stipulated herein the regulations, other relevant legislation with the provisions of the Higher Education Council, University Senate and University Administrative Board
ARTICLE 26- (1) “Bülent Ecevit University Directive for Application, Registration and Admission of Foreign Students” dated 22.02.2012 and No. 2012/04-6 adopted by the decision f the university senate has been repealed.
Entering into force
ARTICLE 27- (1) This Directive enters into force by the decision of University Senate.
ARTICLE 28- (1) This Directive is executed by the Rector of Bülent Ecevit University.